Melbourne Paediatric Specialists recommends children 12 – 18 years of age receive the COVID-19 vaccine
Melbourne Paediatric Specialists supports COVID-19 vaccination as a safe and effective way to manage the current COVID-19 pandemic.
The Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) has approved registration of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine to be extended to include children from 12 years of age*. In keeping with advice from the Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI), Melbourne Paediatric Specialists recommends children who are 12 – 18 years of age receive the COVID-19 vaccine.
*People aged 12 to 17 years can make a booking for the Spikevax (Moderna) or Comirnaty (Pfizer) vaccine.
These recommendations are based on evidence including the following:
- safety, efficacy and effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines in adolescents from clinical trials and overseas vaccination programs
- epidemiology of COVID-19 in adolescents, including disease severity and complications, and their role in transmission in the population
- safety of COVID-19 vaccines, including risk of myocarditis and pericarditis after receiving mRNA vaccines in adolescents and young adults reported overseas
- programmatic implications and the potential delivery strategies to extend vaccination to the young adolescent age group
- mathematical modelling relating to population level impact of vaccinating this age group
- evidence of potential acceptance of vaccination in this age group.
*UPDATE 1 OCT 2021: ATAGI notes the TGA’s registration of Pfizer and Moderna for use in children from 12 years of age. Following a review of current data on benefits and adverse events in adolescents, ATAGI now supports COVID-19 vaccination in ALL adolescents from 12 years of age. A two dose schedule using Pfizer or Spikevax (Moderna) is recommended.
Further information regarding vaccination of children and adolescents can be found using the link below:
Vaccination information for children and teenagers
Information about COVID-19 vaccines for children and teenagers
All approved vaccines now available to everyone 18 years and over.
Pfizer, Moderna and AstraZeneca are now available to everyone aged 18 years and over.